Cool Cucumber Soup
It’s that time of year in California when you get a bit of rain and wind one day only to wake up the next morning to find it’s 20 degrees hotter and the sun is blazing. The following day may give you a spattering of more rain (if we’re really lucky), and so it goes. Then, Mother Nature will suddenly blast the heat and we’ll be thrown into summer!
This light, cool soup hits the spot on a hot day! Blended soups are so great in that it really doesn’t matter how nicely you chop your ingredients – they’re just going to get pureed anyways! This is a really easy soup that comes together very quickly. It can be served in bowls or even in cute, little cups and sipped as an appetizer.
Avocados are a good source of fiber, healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamin E, B vitamins, magnesium, potassium, polyphenols, and antioxidants that protect against inflammation and free radicals. Of the macronutrients (carbs, protein, and fat), fats are slower to burn through so they increase satiety making you feel full longer. That’s just one reason why adding a fat to every meal is important. Onions and garlic, as part of the allium family, have antioxidant, antiviral, and antibacterial properties in addition to being a great source of sulfur which plays an important role in the detoxification process (something your body is doing all of the time). Cucumbers are not only hydrating, they are also anti-inflammatory. Throw on some toppings to get that chew-factor in which will help stimulate saliva even more, providing those initial enzymes that start breaking down your food into absorbable nutrients.
Cool Cucumber Soup
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups avocado from about 2 large
- 2 cups English cucumber chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 2 ½ Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sriracha*
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 ice cubes (more to chill if needed)
- diced red bell pepper*
- sliced green onion or chives
- chopped avocado
- chopped cucumber
- hemp seeds*
- Add water, avocado, cucumber, garlic, red onion, lime juice, vinegar, oil, sriracha, salt, and ice to a high-speed blender. Puree.
- Add more salt, sriracha, lime juice or vinegar to taste. I added an extra tsp of sriracha but it depends on how much heat you want. If you'd like the soup colder, add a couple more ice cubes. Blend.
- Pour into bowls and add desired topping options.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Can also be frozen.